On the evening of October 1st, the West Virginia Department of Highways will begin milling and paving work in Shepherdstown. Without notification to the Town, the West Virginia Department of Highways awarded a contract in June of this year for the paving and milling of WVDOH maintained streets in Shepherdstown.* These roads are owned and maintained by the State of West Virginia, and the Town does not have jurisdiction over any of those state roads, even though they are located within the corporate boundaries. Town officials have been requesting the WVDOH complete this work for over three years as it may assist with alleviating flooding in some areas. However, the Town was unaware work would begin until the contractor reached out to the mayor earlier this week to discuss the project prior to beginning the work. The following is the information provided and discussed during that meeting:
- Milling and paving work will begin Sunday, October 1, 2023. To receive federal funds, WVDOH is required to complete all work by November 17, 2023.
- In an effort to keep traffic disruption to a minimum and in light of the increased traffic from the Route 340 closure, all work related to this project will be performed in the evening between the hours of 7pm-6am. Parking and travel will be impacted during these hours.
- All streets will be available for travel and parking during the day.
- No work will occur on Friday or Saturday evenings, and streets will be open for travel and parking during this time.
- The project will begin with the W. German Street portion.
- The last area to be milled and paved will be E. Duke Street/WV 480.
- The entire project is estimated to last for 3 weeks.
A map of the proposed route and a tentative work schedule can be viewed here (schedule updated 10/11/2023). This schedule is subject to change due to delays caused by weather or other unforeseen conditions. As work progresses, the Town will continue to monitor the project and issue updated notices on our website, e-mail list, and social media pages. If you have any questions please contact Stephanie Grove, Town Administrator, at (304) 876-2312.
-Mayor Jim Auxer
* The following sections of streets are scheduled for work:
- German from Duke to Princess
- Princess from Washington to High
- Washington from Church to 230
- Church from Washington toe Kearneysville Pike (WV 480)
- Duke from Church Alley to German