Special parking and traffic steps being taken in Shepherdstown this Saturday
Shepherdstown is going to be a very busy place this Saturday, with a Christmas parade starting at 11:00 a.m., a Shepherd University football playoff game starting at Noon, and Christmas activities going on all day downtown.
To handle the anticipated extra pressures on traffic and parking, so that everyone can enjoy all the festivities, town and university officials have arranged for the following steps to be taken:
• Every effort will be made to concentrate game parking in the university's parking lots, especially those on the university's west campus.
• Special parking provisions are being made for those participating in the parade.
• The parking lots at the Fire Department and the adjacent Jefferson Security Bank just west of town will be reserved for those coming to town to view the parade and the other Christmas activities. Together, these lots and their adjacent grassy areas can accommodate up to 800 vehicles.
• Eastern Panhandle Transit Authority shuttle buses will operate between the fire department and downtown, and between the west campus and the stadium area. Three buses will operate from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. and one will operate from 1:00 to 4:00 p.m. The last bus will leave from the downtown area around 3:45 p.m.
• Additional parking will be available in the Clarion Hotel's Conference Center parking lots, on the west side of the hotel grounds. However, there will be no shuttle bus service from this area.
• Additional overflow parking areas may be added, so watch for signs directing people to parking areas.
Area residents who are attending the parade or game or both can do their part by carpooling whenever possible and by being respectful of normal parking regulations.