The Corporation of Shepherdstown is seeking to fill the newly created position of Town Administrator.
Steeped in over 250 years of history, Shepherdstown, West Virginia, is located in the Eastern Panhandle along the banks of the Potomac River. Known for its vibrant downtown and restored historic homes and shops, the town is a popular tourist destination and acclaimed for its arts and cultural offerings. The immediately surrounding area offers a rich Civil War history, rural landscapes, and easy river and canal path access with abundant opportunities for hiking, biking, and river activities. A walkable town and home to Shepherd University with its abundant offerings, Shepherdstown is also within easy commuting distance of Dulles Airport and downtown Washington, DC.
The Town Administrator is appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the Town Council. Under the direction of the Mayor, the Town Administrator oversees the general administration and oversight of Town departments, employees, and annual operating and capital budgets. Services provided to residents include public safety; highways and streets; planning and zoning; parks; recreation; urban development; electric, natural gas, water, and sanitary sewer systems; sanitary landfill; and general administrative services. The Town Administrator leads and carries out Council directed policies, programs, and initiatives and ensures effective, efficient, and responsive professional services to the entire community.
The Town Administrator’s responsibilities specifically include:
- Day-to-day communications with the Mayor;
- Human resource services to ensure appropriate procedures are in place and followed for hiring, training, evaluating, disciplining and if necessary terminating staff and participating in that process;
- Maintaining adherence to office policies and procedures to ensure effective, efficient, and responsive professional service to the community;
- Overseeing the Town budget and ensuring that timely and accurate financials are provided to the Mayor, Council, and Town committees, boards, and commissions;
- Providing creative and forward thinking on current and future issues and preparing the Mayor and Council for discussion and action;
- Providing research, analysis and recommendations on special projects;
- Working effectively with contracted services, businesses, non-profits and other entities in the Town and with other jurisdictions;
- Establishing a working relationship with colleagues in Jefferson County and other jurisdictions so that the interests of Shepherdstown are considered in discussions and actions;
- Attendance at all Council meetings;
- Researching, applying for, and managing grants;
- Handling other duties as they emerge and are assigned.
- Master’s Degree and 7-years’ minimum experience as a town or city administrator preferred. A person who has served as an administrator in a complex environment may be considered.
- Extensive professional experience in finance, budgeting, capital and operational planning, expenditure management, labor relations, public facilitation, and staff development.
- Excellent public and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability in advancing the vision and goals of an organization through
- Experience with managing people and relevant policies including all legal requirements
relative to personnel and human resources.
- Experience in sourcing and obtaining grants.
- Strong understanding of service to small communities and a track record of advancing an organization’s vision and goals.
Knowledge, skills, abilities:
- Demonstrated political acumen and skill in building and maintaining relationships,
including the ability to manage conflict, and find common ground as appropriate.
- Demonstrated ability to write clear, concise reports, emails, and other documentation.
- Strong public speaking skills, both formal and informal.
- Creative and strategic thinking and problem solving.
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working relationships with and among
- Independent judgment to manage routine matters.
- Appreciation for the needs and challenges of a small town.
- Ability to form partnerships to advance projects.
- Proficiency in computer applications including knowledge of spreadsheets, databases,
work processing, internet research, and appropriate software applications.
- Aptitude for numbers and details and strong analytical skills.
- Outstanding organizational skills; ability to manage time and personnel effectively.
- Aptitude to prioritize tasks and assignments for self and others.
Salary range $75,000 to $85,000 based on experience. Excellent benefits package includes medical and life insurance plus retirement plan contribution by employer.
Send your cover letter explaining why you are right for this opportunity as well as your resume “Attention: Town Clerk” via fax to: 304-876-1473 or mail to: P.O. Box 248, Shepherdstown, WV, 25443 or hand delivery to Shepherdstown Town Hall at 104 North King Street, Shepherdstown, WV, no later than 4:30 p.m. on Thursday, February 23, 2023.